Hi NGUYEN,

on Sunday, October 17, 1999, 10:16:41 PM, NGUYEN Hoai Nam wrote:

TF>> I really don't know why everybody thinks all langauges of the world
TF>> should be squeezed into the English alphabet. Look at Vietnamese: it
TF>> looks awful now!

NHN> Eh  guy, what the h... you know about Vietnamese ????
NHN> What did you mean "awful" with our current character set?

Not too much except that the character set seems to be Latin on first
sight, and then it turns out that there are so many "extras" added.
Vietnamese, as a tonal language, cannot just be displayed with the
26-character set. - I understand you were using Chinese charactgers
until earlier this century. I was making my point by using Vietnamese
as an example what happens if you want to use the English (or French
in that case) alphabet for a language from a compeltely different
background.

And I did not mean any offence. - Forgive me the wording.

TF>> And really, even though they use 28 latin letters,
TF>> they still have to mke "special effects" and at the end, you still
TF>> don't know how to pronounce it. How do you pronounce this "o" with the
TF>> little tick-mark?

NHN> Yeah,  I  agree with you that it's so ridiculous that someone wants to
NHN> pronounce  correctly  a  language  by  seeing  character  set only!
NHN> You have to learn it to do so.

So, how many characters do you actually use?

TF>> No, every language has the alphabet/character set
TF>> most suitable for it. And why not?

NHN> That's clear...

NHN> Waiting your feedbacks...

And I'm glad that TB is getting more widely recognized here in Asia.
:-)

Thomas.

Message reply created with The Bat! 1.36
under Chinese Windows 98 4.10 Build 1998
on a Pentium II/350 MHz.