Hi there!

On 16 Oct 99, at 12:14, Steve Lamb wrote
    about "OT: Laguanges and names, really, ho":

>     The latter.  Esperanto has 28 letters and 28 base sounds.  1 sound per letter,
> obviously.  It also has several other sounds which are made when a small
> selection of letters are combined, but nothing as prolific as in English.  In
> fact, I think the only sounds which require a different sound and have two
> letters are aj, ej, ij, oj, uj, uxj.  Uxj I'm not so sure about.  I've only
> studied it off and on for a few weeks of "real-time" in the past 3-4 months.
> :/

AFAIK, I've once heard a discussion 'bout "Esperanto and
Russian", and I believe it was said that some modifications to
Esperanto are needed to match Russian pronunciation.
Russian is in fact much "write as you hear it" language (well,
actually Byellorussian language *is* exactly, but in Russian
there exist heaps of local dialects, so... but the overall idea is
that, as I get it). So well, 33 symbols, 31 "basic" sounds, plus 2
symbols to achieve "special effects" like to make this particular
consonant softer or harder. Can't get how you fit it all into 28
characters (even with modifiers). Especially taking into
account, for example, the letter "a", which in English is
pronounced you know how,  and in American English even
more then that -- but in Russian *that* pronunciation is denoted
by another letter, whilst "a" is always pronounced as "ar".

> Anyway, my name (StEEv) doesn't translate into Esperanto and look the
> same.  Stiv/o (Steev/Stee-vo).  So I decided to use Stefan/o
> (Steh-fahn/Steh-fah-no) which I think looks closer, flows better in that
> language and, gosh darn it, sounds nice.  :)

Well, *for me* StEEv and Stiv (with "i" pronounced as in Sting)
are absolutely the same, or else my tongue will refuse to work:-
))

Damn it, I still cannot force myself to pronounce
"pronunciation" correctly......

SY, Alex
(St.Petersburg, Russia)
--
Thought for the day:
  To err is Human.  To blame someone else is politics.

---
PGP public keys on keyservers:
0xA2194BF9 (RSA);   0x214135A2 (DH/DSS)
fingerprints:
F222 4AEF EC9F 5FA6  7515 910A 2429 9CB1 (RSA)
A677 81C9 48CF 16D1 B589  9D33 E7D5 675F 2141 35A2 (DH/DSS)
---