Monday, November 15, 1999, 2:03:57 PM, Roel wrote:
>>> Well, it does have advantages over the ini-concept (no 64k-limit,
>>> additional data-types,...)
SL>>     Those limits are arbitrary.
> not if you use the microsoft-routines for accessing ini-files... (if
> you use just a write/read then it's limited to 4GB)

    Those limits are arbitrary.  The Microsoft routines obviously have bugs in
them, don't they?  :)

SL>>     Those "advantages" aren't exclusive to the registry.
> What has these advantages too?

    Flat files in a user's home directory.

> (i mean user-specific settings that also work on an nt-network with
> server-based user-profiles for example)

    An NT-Network isn't an advantage.  Any IT professional can tell you that
and as one such professional I can tell you many reasons why NT is the worst
choice to have a central repository for user files (that is all a "profile"
is).  I'd much rather have Unix with NFS.

> Indeed, but there are utils that fix these things (I know, it should
> have been provided by MS...)

    Exactly.