On Tuesday, September 19, 2000, 10:08:54 PM, Oleg wrote:

ML>> mouse is more convenient.
> For you. I use keyboard.

In the situation I described, my mouse is nearer than keyboard, and
I've got only one hand, while most of TB's shortcuts are two-three
key combinations. That might not stop you from using the keyboard,
but I would rather grab the mouse. And that's my point: it's about
habit, and situation.

ML>> Then there's the problem of having to remember the shortcuts. I can
ML>> remember only so many of them, even for a program I use very often
ML>> like TB. It wastes even more time if I have to look them up in a
ML>> table, and it waste more (physical) desktop estate to have a (hard)
ML>> copy of TB's shortcut lists at the side.

> Yes. But. You can start learning them step-by-step. When you take
> your look   away   from   monitor  for relaxing (you have to do it
> for the sake  of  your eyes) look through the list of shortcuts
> and choose the one you will benefit the most from learning. And
> start using it. Don't try  to  use  next  until your hand
> completely learn it. You will gain great power rather quickly.

When I take my eyes off the screen to rest them, why should I
torture them further by go through the shortcut list? :) I save such
moments for my brain to think (about my dissertation, e.g., or
whatever I'm working on).

Don't get me wrong. I do look my shortcut lists (of TB and many
others) often (I know. I said I considered myself a keyboard person,
remember?). The problem is, there're too many shortcut keys (not
just in TB, we don't use just TB, do we?). I can't (and don't want
to) remember them all. Yes, practice helps, but for those functions
that I don't use often, I forget them quickly.

> Power  user  / common user. Keyboard is more efficient for power
> user, toolbar is more convenient for common user.

I find this statement somewhat, dare I say, self-serving. Some *nix
people think there's no power user who uses Windows. And Windows
users think Mac users are non-power (or stupid even) users. :) If
using mouse and toolbar makes me a "common user", then so be it.

> They can have their choices -- they can choose OE or everything
> else.

Somehow I'm not as sure RIT wants to turn away "common users" in
drove. :)

ML>> It's true it takes time to implement those features,
> It's  take not only time, it will take the power and efficiency of TB!
> as a MUA.

Not necessarily, may I say, not necessarily.

Ming-Li

The Bat! 1.47 Beta/5 | Win2k SP1