Hi Graham,

On Tue, 19 Sep 2000 06:22:28 +0100GMT (19/09/2000, 13:22 +0800GMT),
Graham wrote:

G> The Bat has a great deal of computing power behind it,
G> but in my book its interface is terrible.

I don't think it's actually "terrible"; why don't you make a
suggestion as to it could be improved? Some mock-up screen shots, or
some hand-made graphics (drafts), something for us to know what you're
talking about.

G> And I prefer something like Editpad to The Bat's internal editor.

How many times is this coming up. You can use your preferred external
editor in v2. No need to beat up this dead horse any more.

G> The Group seems to be divided between those who are used to
G> traditional (unix?) computer interfaces, which The Bat most closely
G> follows

In my unix times, we had only CLI - command line interface. I actually
only saw the KDE Linux interface a few months ago for the first time
(and didn't like it).

G> and those, like me, who have grown up with Windows.

I have gronw up with CLI's of different flavour, and that was before
MS-DOS; I have learned to love unix shells.

G> and until The Bat's interface resembles something like Calypso's or
G> Eudora's, others out there won't be interested in trying it, no
G> matter how much power the program has.

That is certainly true for the masses; the majority of TB users are
power users that care more about functionlity than look. However, it
would not be wrong to increase the visiual appeal, don't get me wrong
here. There are some violations to good HCI principles (HCI =
Human-computer Interface), but I'd rather live with them than use
good-looking programmes like Eudora (which I used before I discovered
TB) that have less power (or functionality).

G> That's why The Bat is on my computer and I do use it, but for me
G> Calypso 3.1 rules.

Unofrtunately, I cannot comment on this, because I never used Calypso.

G> the answers have enlightened me as to the way The Bat can be made
G> to work better. But it doesn't *LOOK* better than others out there.

We don't compete on the catwalk here. HCI design is important, but
functionality is more important. We are talking about two developers
who single-handedly (how's that possible, two people and only one
hand?) design, develop, code, engineer, analyse, and do whatever with
this mammal. the interface is not "bad", it's just not a priority.

That's my personal opinion, maybe I'm going to be flogged. In that
case, I'll be out of the office now. ;-)

--

Cheers,
Thomas.

Message reply created with The Bat! 1.46c
under Chinese Windows 98 4.10 Build 1998
on a Pentium II/350 MHz.