On Fri, 10 May 2002, Tim Musson wrote:

> Hey Jonathan,
>
> JA> This may be a really really stupid question.  But doesn't that macro clear
> JA> the TO field, set it to [EMAIL PROTECTED], and clear the CC field?
>
> Not a stupid question <g>
> And, yes it does clear both the To: and Cc: fields, then put
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] in the To: field.

Gotcha... Doesn't that make more work on your part if you just wanted to
reply to say your dad?  I mean, you have to go ahead, strip out the list,
readd your dad's email etc etc.  Or does he have a special AB template?

> JA> If so, why would you want to use this on an account template, and
> JA> not just create an address book template just for
> JA> [EMAIL PROTECTED]?
>
> because I usually do a reply to a message (kind of like this one), not
> a new message from the address book.

But you can set reply templates as well.  I use them on here, and on other
lists (even ones that don't have the reply-to set)

> JA> Or have I completely missed the functions in this macro?
>
> I know, it sounds odd, but it has to do with the list software and how
> it is configured... For some reason (and yes, the moderators and users
> are in agreement on this... - the 'why' question pops up every few
> months, and I seem to recall RFC's or some such being quoted) that
> comunity (and may others like it from what I understand) have the
> default reply to listed as the person who sent the message to the
> list! So if I want to reply to the list, I need to clear the To: field
> (and frequently the Cc: filed) and address it to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Actually, it doesn't sound odd at all.  I'm on about 3 mailing lists that
are setup in exactly the same way.  Purely because it gets a lot of
outside posters, it forces the mail client to reply to that outside poster
instead of the list, in case the poster isn't subbed on the list.

Can you not create an AB template (for Reply) for [EMAIL PROTECTED], and
then in that template, get it to clear everything?  I'll test it on Monday
on one of the lists I'm on, but I cannot see a reason it wouldn't work if
say you hit the REPLY-ALL button, instead of just the reply... but I could
be mistaken on how that kind of setup would work.  I'll give it a go ;)

--
Jonathan Angliss
([EMAIL PROTECTED])