Hello Allie,

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002 15:18:24 -0500 GMT (19/06/02, 03:18 +0700 GMT),
Allie C Martin wrote:

ACM> I'm not sure if my opinion is valid one but anyway:

IMHO any opinion, if brought forward appropriately, is valid. ;-)

P>> Of course, I would never be able to do that without the help of
P>> some power users. This is why I say that it is too complicated.

ACM> It is complicated because being able to do this doesn't come easily.
ACM> You *have* to put in your time to learn it. You can't expect all that
ACM> you wish to do to be learnt in a snap. We certainly would wish this
ACM> but it's certainly not the case.

I would like to add that this very list is one of the features of TB.
I don't know whether other mailers have such helpful lists.

P>> There must be a way to implement simple yet powerful features with
P>> check boxes. I am no programmer, but I am sure that the solution is
P>> out there for anyone with a bit of imagination.

ACM> You'd end up castrating the interface and holding everyone back.

Sorry for disagreeing, but I don't think so. What he is asking for is
an additional way to access the macros. I don't see how it castrates
the existing interface.

ACM> What about those who want to do more???

They will use the existing CLI.

ACM> I don't see how under the sun one can reduce the construction of
ACM> those more complex macro/regex combos to simple drop down menu
ACM> selections.

The advantage of drop-down menus is that they are localisable (i.e.
they follow the chosen interface language). When you hit on a menu
item, the correct macro/regex in English will be inserted into the
template. There are a lot of programmers' tools around that work
that way: you just hit "create array, 2 dims, 30x45" and the software
will put the correct programming-language commands into your
program-under-development. (There is a name for those tools, I just
forgot it.)

ACM> This is why the CLI and programming languages will be here to
ACM> stay, whether it's behind the scenes or not.

Sure. Right now, it's not behind the scenes. But it could be... ;-)

--

Cheers,
Thomas.

Also, always avoid annoying alliteration.

Message reply created with The Bat! 1.60q
under Chinese Windows 98 4.10 Build 2222 A
using an AMD Athlon K7 1.2GHz, 128MB RAM