In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]">mid:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Thomas F [TF] wrote:

ACM>> I don't see how much easier that can get considering the
ACM>> automation that has been achieved through that simple task!!

TF> You are right in this example. How about the example given at
TF> http://www.ginkyo.org/contenu/pages/TheBat/thebat_macros.htm ? A
TF> button labeld "translate date into local language" could put the
TF> whole thing into the template.

The developers can't be expected to create a nice little button for
each of the useful things achieved by end user construction of complex
macros???

It's true that their macro list is increasing steadily. Looking at the
complete list of macros tells us this. We can't however, put them all
in drop down menus. We can't expect a macro to be created for all the
things out there that have been written. There are so many subtle
variations and tweaks out there anyway. Can you tweak the nice little
button or can you tweak the macro itself, which brings you right back
to square one.

ACM>> Who really cares about the format of the macro itself, i.e.,
ACM>> whether or not it carries a % sign? In fact this is better since
ACM>> you can tell where the macros are so it's easier to see what the
ACM>> template is doing.

TF> You would still be able to see the macro as created by hitting the
TF> button.

You hit a menu selection and the macro appeared in plain text. What
makes it harder to understand or do than hitting a button? <it's a
rhetorical question really. I steadfastly do not think it's harder :-)>

TF> In my experience, a GUI never gives you the power you have with a
TF> CLI (see the random cookie!). The clickable buttons would only
TF> insert pre-written macros/regexes. The CLI would still be
TF> available.

But that is what you're doing with the macro button menu items.
Inserting them. How are you going to deal with the rest of your none
macro based text? You have to have it flowing as it does now.

I like MDaemons filtering system which has an approach to what you're
thinking. It's really not that different from what TB! does at
present.

TF> Example (maybe not really good): Instead of c&p'ing the Spamcop
TF> filters from the FAQ page, imagine there would be a button labeled
TF> "create SpamCop filters". My mother (who loves TB but has no idea
TF> about templates, macros, or regexes) could use it. ;-)

Example not good. <g> I see your point but I don't see where it's
needed here. I assure you that users would remain confused considering
what these templates can do. If they're confused with the current
implementation then they'll remain confused with other methods.

I think what has happened is that the list is so mature, that regex
macros are being spoken of and passed around as if it's a trivial
matter to create them and that everyone should be able to do it with
little effort, and if this isn't so, then blame the interface. I
simply cannot agree with that.

- --
 -=Allie C Martin=-
List Moderator | TB! v1.60q | Windows XP Pro
PGP/GPG Public Key: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?Subject=2B0717E2