Hello Gary,

Wednesday, October 16, 2002, 11:02:51 AM, you wrote:

Yes  it has to use the ISP's DNS, and AOL somehow stops this and sends
a  message  back  saying  'no  relay  of  mail  -  sorry', even though
technically, I'm not relaying mail, rather trying to send it directly.
ATT  does  not  stop use of their nameserver so I can send through it,
but  I can't connect to their nameserver through AOL on the portable -
maybe  this  is never possible - you're stuck with the ISP's nameserver
you are connected with?

Also  I  had a realbox/myrealmail account but it expired, and now they
are  no  longer  accepting new accounts.  I sent an e-mail to them and
maybe they will reinstate my old account.  ATT did not allow gathering
of  E-mail off their server so I didn't use this account anymore - but
now  they  do.   But  I  want to use The Bat! anyway.  Hopefully I can
configure  The  Bat!  to  get  and send e-mail through a free account.
We'll   see.    I'm   stuck with an AOL connection no matter what - on
the portable.

G> Hi Allie,

G> On Wednesday, October 16, 2002, 11:43 AM, you mentioned about "ATT Broadband
connections problems":

A>> Mercury *is* the mail server. You don't need another mail server to
A>> relay mail for you when you're using Mercury. Mercury has it's own SMTP
A>> server that will carry out a direct mail delivery. You don't need to to
A>> use or enter any of your ISP servers in the Mercury configuration.

G> I see.  This would be equivalent to me using qmail or Postfix in Linux as
G> my mail server (both for SMTP and POP3).  I can see where Mercury would be
G> advantageous for sending mail in Windows.  I will check Mercury out, as I
G> have questions regarding DNS records, if, or how, it resolves MX records
G> before it sends, if it does, etc.  Probably uses the ISPs DNS for this if
G> it checks.   Interesting.

 slug                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]