Hello Denis,

Sunday, September 5, 2004, 5:31:15 PM, you wrote:

>> (c) MS started to recommend individual configuration files some time
>> back,
Back to the old days where .ini was more common.
The problem is that the .ini files are not always in the most logical
place either.

> If only they did it themselves! Do what I say, but not what I do...
> And more than that... their apps settings are scattered a bit
> everywhere in the Registry. I think that the "one branch stores it
> all" approach Ritlabs took is not that bad. If only they could
> replace their so called included backup/restore feature by a simple
> copy/restore all TheBat! files, along with a per-user registry
> backup & restore, you would'nt see anyone complaining that their
> backup is corrupted anymore.

> I can't think of a serious TB! user using the integrated backup
> feature.

By far the best approach I've ever seen was on another platform.
An application directory always starts with a !
It shows a nice icon of the application.
Inside the directory is everything that belongs to that application.
Program files, settings, data etc.
You can copy around that directory as you like.
It just works no matter where you move it to.
I think it's much less confusing then the current method.
And the many registry tweaking/cleaner tools don't give a very
positive feeling about the registry approach either.
TB! doesn't even need a backup restore with that method because a
simple copy from a backup will do.

Just my 2 cents :P

--
Tony
Nothing is fool-proof to a talented fool.