Hello Mica,

DH>> That's why I have my OS's and Applications in different partitions.
DH>> (Data too).

> This schema with three main partitions (OS | Programs | Data/Documents)
> is the best/safest way. Many professionals find it as best solution too.
> Often is done further division of the Data as well (e.g. private,
> business etc.).

Organizing an efficient directory system isn't easy. It's like
designing a Thesaurus and lets you know where to find what you're
looking for.

MM>>> You could try it yourself and see does this speed match your
MM>>> working habits, temperament (my best experiences so far are with
MM>>> Knoppix 5.0.1 and the version of Wine coming with it). Except the
MM>>> speed and some aesthetic quirks, slight twitches and
MM>>> peculiarities, everything works, and as usual.

DH>> Knoppix runs from a CD. I have an older version (3.6) of it.

> Knoppix also can be installed quite easily to hard disk as well
> (the easiest Linux installation actually, but is not very known,
> taking about 20 minutes and being 98,7% automatic). Very easy
> instructions I have sent recently to a TBOT (to a...member ... If
> you want I can resend these instructions.

> Knoppix 5.5.1 (on CD and on HDD) is even better than 3.x versions
> (having better version of Wine as well), but versions 3 also can
> be installed on hard disk (the same procedure, you just call the
> installation script that does everything needed). The 5.5.1 has
> three types of installation: typical Debian one, then for
> beginners, and one exactly as it is on CD (with a fine sexy female
> voice at the opening and the closing of the system).

<http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/> includes:

 knoppix-nsm/            09-May-2006 06:09    -
 knoppix-std/            23-Jul-2003 15:39    -
 knoppix/                02-Jun-2006 18:00    -
 knoppixmame/            18-Feb-2004 21:02    -

The third one includes:

   KNOPPIX_V5.0.1CD-2006-06-01-DE.iso          02-Jun-2006 12:42  696M
   KNOPPIX_V5.0.1CD-2006-06-01-DE.iso.md5      02-Jun-2006 12:54   69
   KNOPPIX_V5.0.1CD-2006-06-01-DE.iso.md5.asc  02-Jun-2006 16:42  305
X  KNOPPIX_V5.0.1CD-2006-06-01-EN.iso          02-Jun-2006 12:49  696M
   KNOPPIX_V5.0.1CD-2006-06-01-EN.iso.md5      02-Jun-2006 12:55   69
   KNOPPIX_V5.0.1CD-2006-06-01-EN.iso.md5.asc  02-Jun-2006 16:42  305

<Index of /pub/linux/distributions/knoppix/docs> has a Knoppix
tutorial and HowTo-Burn

However - Knoppix 5.5.1 is not there. So I went to:
<http://www.knoppix.org/> and they don't have it either. Are you
sure about the version number?

> On TBUDL I think I already have sent instructions on how to
> install TB in Linux using Wine.

I don't have access to the TBUDL archives on this computer. I'd have
to look for it on the dutaint website.

DH>> TB! users are not main stream people and IMO, RitLab's
DH>> targeting main stream windows users at the expense of more
DH>> resourceful individuals was a mistake.

> Well...appetites for "popularity" increase and the target group
> changes, yes. Hence the needs of aristocracy of e-mailing world
> are not priority anymore, as it was once upon a time, since the
> Fine Product has to be spread among wide public masses as well
> (the very reason why the Ministry of Silly Features and Ministry
> of Useless Wishes were established), and hence the droop in
> quality. I resisted for a while, and then found myself quite
> pleased with just watching it from the gallery separe (and
> commenting on occasion, with or without petards and tomatoes).

DH>> The TB! lists are an important resource but RitLab's tech
DH>> support is pretty good too. I've always gotten responses and a
DH>> developer is going to be much more competent than a lot of
DH>> those insolent fools working at larger corporations.

> I've heard that they indeed are good and quite fair, although
> never had need for their help, assistance. TB (expert) lists do
> indeed excellent work, and lots of members here are quite helpful
> and effective. Most of them are besides quite friendly, of
> undamaged nerves, literate and genuinely civilized too, that
> contributes to the experience, so that I almost feel as in old
> good times of TB being a mailer for real aristocracy.

And the lists were so civilized. There was no gang banging then.

DH>> I used Calypso before discovering TB! and had a nightmarish
DH>> experience with it and especially, with their
DH>> worse-than-nothing Dallas based tech support staff.

> I've heard about lots of such experiences too, with various
> manufacturers.

I had 50 mg of encrypted email I couldn't access. A good friend from
TBUDL (Conrad, who may still be lurking), helped me remedy that.
(While Calypso's just sat there and smirked).

DH>> Vista is said to be more stable than previous versions of windows and
DH>> RitLabs has announced that a Vista certified version of Tb! will be
DH>> released soon.

> There you see. Windows become more and more "specialized" and
> "picky" in order to defend their shaky stability. At the end they
> will finish as Mac, in order to make an "idiot-proof" OS (being
> safe even for one Brooke Shields or Woody Alan), and will be, due
> to this, dearly expensive of course (and with plenty of not so
> documented features working behind user's back). They will have to
> call service to change from HTML mail to plaint text one.

From what I've read since I posted that, upgrading to Vista isn't a
good idea unless the computer comes with it.

DH>> So I think I'll stick with what's working for me at present, and not
DH>> take risks that could require reinstalling things that are working
DH>> reasonably well right now, since I've got a lot of commitments with
DH>> work to do and am short on help here, so I really don't have time to
DH>> do things over, particularly when it's unnecessary.

> Yes, such things require indeed bell of a lot time and the people who
> really do something in their life hardly would get some for running
> after just any "new feature" around.

DH>> IOW, if I change over to Vista, I'll upgrade TB! then.

> Unfortunately I'll have to scrutinize this OS too, wishing this pleasure
> or not, as I had with XP(ee), since I have to "be in touch" with MS
> "products", even if and when I don't use them myself a lot (cooperators,
> clients and similar).

You're a guru, then.

DH>> The main advantage to using windows is the tremendous amount of third
DH>> party software, shareware and freeware available.

> Indeed. It is still so. Linux is good for some more specialized,
> and "safer", more stable, work, but plenty of that is still in the
> area of Windows, including indeed fantastic games, for instance,
> but some other quite useful software too.

It's like a poorly designed city - but that's where the people are.

--

Douglas