> On Aug 2, 2010, at 7:25 PM, Simon Lyall wrote:
> > Our current monitoring system is slated for replacement over the next
> > few   months. Currently Zabbix is the front-runner (especially since it
> > includes graphing which we are very deficient in), do people know if
> > it's   a good fit for this sort of role?
>
> After a long dark period of struggling with Zabbix, we came to the
> following conclusions:
>
>     Zabbix is an awesome trending tool which tries to also do monitoring
> and sucks badly at it
>
>     Nagios is an awesome monitoring tool which tries to also do trending
> and sucks badly at it

We are using Nagios at work. The previous tool we use has a trending tool add
on which grabbed data and shoved it into RRD databases. And a script built web
pages that display data as charts. I went looking for a similar thing.

I found an extension for Nagios called PNP4Nagios on the NagiosExchange.org web
site. It was very easy to add. It automagically add news services and hosts.
You can zoom in on graphs like on Cacti. It can generate PDFs of the web page.
A bit of AJAX enable smal search box. The only problem is that it integrates
with the Nagios UI via the action_url directives. You hacve regenerate then
when new hosts/servies are added. And remove services and hoat can be a bit
tricky.

But overall we at work are well satisfied with it. Its benfits far outway its
minor problems. It's now in the "can't live without" category.