On Sep 6, 2010, at 12:36 PM, Philip J. Hollenback wrote:

> Has anyone brought up the alternative of using Homeplug networking over
> your house wiring instead of a wireless bridge?  I've been considering
> that option as well for connecting my directv boxes to the internet.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeplug

I've tried that kind of thing, repeatedly.  It has never once worked well, if
at all. In the cases where it was even marginally useful, each circuit in the
house was isolated from all the others, and the devices I had could not talk to
each other if they were not on the same circuit.

There are expensive "bridge" devices you're supposed to be able to get and
install in your main breaker box that are designed to allow devices on
different circuits to talk to each other indirectly, but I've never seen them
myself.

Most recently, I tried this concept again on a much simpler level -- I wasn't
trying to transmit lots of high-speed Ethernet data as fast as I could across
the wiring in the house, I was just trying to install one of those "phone plug
anywhere" devices that use the same technology to allow you to install an
analog telephone jack anywhere you have a power outlet.

And that had so much hum an other noise on the line that it was worse than
useless.

Feel free to give it a try, and let us know how it works for you.  But also be
prepared to sell them to someone else at a steep "garage sale" discount, if
they don't work for you.

--
Brad Knowles <b...@shub-internet.org>