Chris Hoogendyk wrote:

> On 9/28/10 10:51 AM, Jesse Thompson wrote:
>> On 09/28/2010 09:42 AM, Chris Hoogendyk wrote:
>>> On 9/28/10 9:08 AM, Jesse Thompson wrote:

>>> Assuming that everyone has to use the same client comes a bit too close
>>> to the financial web sites that insist you have to be using IE and then
>>> program stuff directly to IE so that indeed I have to. But I can't.
>>> Microsoft has not supported IE on Mac for many years and has never
>>> supported it for Mac OS X. So, I'm stuck using the kiosk at my Bank
>>> if/when I absolutely have to. But that's not at all what internet
>>> banking is supposed to be. It sucks.
>> At least you have the option of installing a Windows VM on your Mac.
>
> Bad option. Then I have the added cost of paying $$ to Microsoft for the use
> of their OS and for
> future updates when I really don't want anything to do with it. An ordinary
> mom&pop household would
> have to pay a consultant to do the install and configuration as well. No
> point in getting into
> platform wars here. It is sufficient to say that I do not personally want
> anything to do with
> Microsoft. Your choices may vary, and that is alright.

(threadjack!)

I highly recommend credit unions over the usual commercial banks.  In addition
to their non-profit nature, and lack of
desire to hose their customers in order to deliver ever-increasing profits,
they seem to have a few (accidental?)
advantages in terms of online banking.  (And very, very few of them had
significant exposure to the toxic assets of the
housing bubble.)

It appears that many (most?) credit unions outsource their online banking to
one of a few "online banking companies" and
those companies in general seem to be doing a good job on browser acceptance.

My data points are few: I only have accounts with 3 credit unions, and they
have all outsourced to two separate backend
processors.  I consistently use Firefox with all of them, and tested Safari
with them a year or so ago.  I had this
discussion with the online manager at one of these CUs last year and he
mentioned the prevalent CU online banking
outsourcing strategy.

(We now return you to your Skype/client/browser/* discussions)

--tep