On Sep 28, 2010, at 10:51 AM, Jesse Thompson wrote:

> Are you saying that iChat works with Skype voice/video?  Or are you saying
> that iChat supports multiple IM protocols like Pidgin and the other
> multi-protocol clients?

Well, iChat has supported AIM and video chat via AIM for many years (at least
since 2006, see
<http://ask.metafilter.com/33287/Cross-platform-videochat-software>).  It does
also support multiple other chat protocols, but I don't know if it does video
with any of them.

There are other places and other times that this question has come up over the
past five to ten years, see:

http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/09/11/2244233
http://homepage.mac.com/john_kenn/video.html
http://mac.blorge.com/2008/05/03/oovoo-puts-free-cross-platform-video-chat-on-your-mac/
http://www.mac-compatible-web-cam.com/mac-video-chat/mac-video-chat.html

And any of the other top hits when you Google for "cross-platform video
conference".

Of course, there's also Meebo, which runs a website with videoconferencing
software written in Flash.

Or you could just run two Ustream live video streaming accounts, one on either
end -- that's basically what Fring was helping to make happen.

Of course, none of these multi-platform alternatives is as "shiny, shiny" as
Skype.  And Skype isn't anywhere remotely as "shiny, shiny" as Facetime.

Give it a few months, and I'm sure you'll start to see Facetime clients pop up
on other OSes -- helping make that happen through "real deal" Internet
standards-based standards is more to the benefit of Apple than any proprietary
alternative, and helps them avoid the Microsoft/Google/Skype Hegemony.

> I didn't say it was a *good* option, but at least you have it. Conversely,
> you can't install an OSX VM on a Windows or Linux desktop (unless you are
> willing to shell out $$$ to Apple for the hardware,) so you can't use that as
> a workaround for using iChat as your Skype alternative.

There are a whole Universe of solutions that do not involve the installation of
any Microsoft software on any non-Microsoft platform.  I would fully
investigate all of them before going down that road.

--
Brad Knowles <b...@shub-internet.org>