On 09/28/2010 11:04 PM, Brad Knowles wrote:
Facetime on the iPhone is the most trivially simple piece of software to
configure -- Apple has already done all the hard work for you.

You are probably right, but an Apple-only solution won't cut it in the real world. I wish you were right about your claims of FaceTime being a completely open protocol. I am skeptical.

According to this article, it appears that FaceTime is entirely dependent on Apple's proprietary push service (which appears to be a proprietary implementation of XMPP,) instead of the XMPP-JINGLE open standard, for invoking the SIP session.

http://www.packetstan.com/2010/07/special-look-face-time-part-1.html

"
    Based on this analysis we can determine several critical pieces of
    how Facetime works:

        * Unknown TCP protocol starts the conversation, likely
          initiated following an event that starts on the GSM network;
        * Unknown UDP traffic between two hosts with similar IP
          addresses;
        * Certificate validation through an Akamai server, followed by
          an HTTPS request to an Apple server;
        * STUN traffic for NAT traversal;
        * SIP traffic for call setup and negotiation;
        * UDP stream data for video/audio.
"

FaceTime may indeed be "more open" than Skype. But if it cannot exist without Apple, it is not actually open.

Jesse