On Sep 29, 2010, at 9:28 AM, Jesse Thompson wrote:

> You are probably right, but an Apple-only solution won't cut it in the real
> world.  I wish you were right about your claims of FaceTime being a
> completely open protocol.  I am skeptical.

All I can tell you is that Apple has said that they are committed to making
Facetime a true open standard.  Whether or not they actually deliver on this
promise is something that only time will tell.

Certainly, what we know about Facetime so far is that it is largely built on
existing open standards, and even if Apple didn't deliver on their promise, I
would hope that it wouldn't be too hard to create a real open standard that
delivers the same functionality.  At that point, Apple would be forced to
choose whether to continue with their proprietary implementation or support the
open standard.

Since part of the purpose of Facetime (and Apple's claim to be committed to
turning it into a true open standard) is that it would give them a really
strong weapon to use in their fight against the Microsoft/Google/Skype
Hegemony, I think Apple's choice in this matter is pretty clear.

But the only thing we can be certain of is that time will tell.

--
Brad Knowles <b...@shub-internet.org>