On 2014/11/09 21:41, Martin Brandenburg wrote:
> Stuart Henderson <st...@openbsd.org> wrote:

> > > 100% complete should be the goal.
> > >
> > > I expect a system that is upgraded from 5.5 to 5.6 (following the
> > > upgrade documentation) to be in the _exact_ same state as a clean 5.6
> > > installation, barring changes local to the system.
> >
> > I disagree. Consider the case of default MTA or default web server.
> > I expect the upgrade instructions to show me how to upgrade the system
> > keeping it running as before as much as possible.
> >
> > If I wanted it to work how it does on a clean install, I'd just do a
> > clean install...
>
> The old binaries won't run on the new kernel anyway. When the default

Very often, the old binaries will still run, at least within a couple
of releases. There are some special cases where they won't (like the
time_t flag day), but they aren't all that frequent, that's why they're
called flag days.

> has been changed but the old default remains, the upgrade instructions
> should say so and say what to do to change the default. You can continue
> running the old default if you want. When the old software has been
> removed completely, the old binaries are useless anyway.

I was answering the specific point about "the _exact_ same state as a
clean 5.6 installation" there.

There are some specific cases where it makes a lot of sense to tell
people to rm things (e.g. base program moved to ports). And some cases
where it really doesn't matter (old gcc-lib, site_perl dirs), people
who particularly want a cleaned-up system will use find, others won't
care. And some like this where it could probably go either way..