On Jan 15, 2004, at 2:08 AM, Don Simons wrote:

The argument of the command will be the
name of the file including any necessary path information

What do you think about a second environment variable PMXINPUTS which points to a common location where include files are to be found (like TEXINPUTS for TeX)? I imagine, such includes will serve for often used configurations which one does not want to retype every time. If their path is hardcoded in the PMX file, I'm afraid there will be a lot of questions from people who have downloaded a PMX file from the archive but didn't store the includes at the right place.

I didn't want to create a default path to pmx.mod because (1) that would
only have required one positive action (creating pmx.mod) to initiate,
making it more likely that a user would lose track of things, and (2) that
would be difficult to make compatible across different OS's.

That's indeed an important issue.

Another suggestion, out of this context: I found MTX's conditional feature to be a very useful for coding two different versions of one piece within a single source file. For instance a piece for some vocal voices plus a piano reduction for rehearsing, one version just the original piece, one with the reduction added, or the reduction alone, or putting together several but not all voices of a piece into a single part, which is not possible using scor2prt.
Something like AC<n> ("case", n = 0, 1, 2,...) would mean "skip the following input block unless the command line switch -<n> is given" and AO<n1>,<n2>,<n3>,... ("only") which would mean "take only lines (resp. voices) n1, n2, n3,... of each input block".

Implementing the same by a preprocessing macro program is of course possible, but you have to teach such a program quite a lot about PMX's input language.

regards
Bernhard