One of the avantages of setting \interstaff = 0, is that the midi can play, that is the reason i spend time on it. But i did not expected to ask other people to spend all that time.

In the piece i made i see now that the brace in a 2-staff instrument also is gone, when applying Don's solution.

I made an example of the first 2 systems. When removing
\\let\mxspst\mxsps\def\mxsps#1#2{\let\mxsps\mxspst}\
then both the hairpin and the brace are there.

Perhaps the solution lies in putting the char in the \mxspst font only when \interstaff is not zero. But doing this is beond my possibilities. Therefore, i am asking help from the list group.

A few other things:

- i cannot use \setemptybar\bar because the \afterruleskip stays and the notes are to far apart (nevertheless this works with a centered space).

- \def\xbar{\zbar} does the work

- It is a little bit tedious to make all the clefs sharp to let the staves cover each other, and then to get them back.

- I have to use a movement (L3M in the example) because i do not want to see a clef change at the and of the previous line.

- Also at the midi, there is a (small) problem: the solo must be singed by a tenor or bariton, i can use 'IT+0+0-12+0' to let it sound low, but back in the 4 staff system it sounds then very very low. I do not now how this can be changed, but it could be easely done i think if the IT command was a toggling one (but making it toggle will be not easy, i suppose).

This is the example:

==============
   4    3    6    8   0   0   0  -3
   1      3        16       0

tttt
./
ArbdI0.92
Iiororvovo
\\setclefsymbol2\treblelowoct\
\\songtop3\songbottom2\
%
\\let\myxbar\xbar\let\myalaligne\alaligne\
%
% changed Rz command from PMX
\\let\zalat\stoppiece\
\\def\setzalaligne{\
 \\def\stoppiece{\zstoppiece\let\stoppiece\zalat}}\
%
%newline with bar
\\def\setalaligne{\def\stoppiece{\zalat}}\
%
\\interstaff{0}\
%
% omit the hairpin
\\let\mxspst\mxsps\def\mxsps#1#2{\let\mxsps\mxspst}\
%1
IT+0+0-12+0
Rz rbp /
rbp /
g84 Dmf-0-5 g g g g a /
rbp  /
\\\def\xbar{\zbar}\
%
m6400
rbp  /
rbp /
b4 b8 b [ b a g ] f4 fd ob /
rbp /
%
m5800
rbp /
rbp /
[ f8 g a ] b4 ob /
rbp /
%
m9800
rbp /
rbp /
[ b8 b ] [ b a g ] f4 f ob /
rbp /
m4400
rbp Rd /
rbp /
e8 e d e4d r of /
rbp /
\\\setalaligne\
\\\resetclefsymbols\
\\\def\alaligne{\stoppiece\interstaff{10.9}\
\\\setinterinstrument2{5\Interligne}\startpiece\
\\\let\alaligne\myalaligne}\
IT+0+0-12+0
L3M
m3800
Cb b43d t ze- stl /
e44d t Dp-1-1 zg stu /
Cb e83 e e //
b83 Dp+16-1 b b /
e84 e e //
g84 Dp+15-1 g g /
\\\def\xbar{\zbar}\
m4400
Rz b0+ st st ze- t tl /
g4 st ze t .f za g2 t zb stu /
e8 e e e e4 e8 e //
b8 b b b b4 b8 b /
e8 e e f g4 b8 g //
g8 g g a b4 b8 b /
%
b4d+ st st ze- t b+ st t zb- st bdl st zb+ t ob /
[u b8 st zg t a zf g ze ] d4 t zf stu fd st zd t /
e8 e e b4 bd ob //
b8 b b b4 bd /
g8 f e d4 dd ob //
b8 a g f4 fd /