Kenneth,
I admit cause I don't know and have not been involved that much, and I am old, fat and too busy maintaining caver related mailing lists that take up too much time... But are BLM caves that have no bats, never had any history of bats, are not conducive to ever enticing any bats to ever colonize them, also closed?
If so,  then that,  in my mind make no sense at all.
I think what has so many cavers upset is the lack of communication from the BLM...
But I only observe from what I read from others.

Caver, friend and list owner/moderator...
Bill Bentley