Just FYI, you can import all previous posts from this google group into a
discourse site, and it even preserves the authors with staged user accounts:

One new deal breaker for me with google groups is that now I can't reply
from the browser on my phone. This is some new change that happened in
recent months I guess. Yes, I can subscribe to emails and reply that way,
but my gmail is already clogged enough as it is and this list is very high
traffic.  For forums like this I prefer to read and interact with it on the
web, or else use discord/slack.
But for those who do prefer to interact mainly via email, reply-by-email is
enabled by default in discourse hosting.
I think the default behavior is that discourse will occasionally email you
about topics you've missed since your last visit to the site, which I like
(but you can turn that off, too).  There is a discourse app, too, where I
can see and interact with all the discourse sites I'm a member of.

For finding things, in addition to the regular search which seems better
than on google groups, there is a 'docs' feature, or of course that's where
one could link to an official tiddlywiki-based knowledge base that is
manually curated:
https://www.discourse.org/plugins/docs.html

Discourse's managed hosting service offers an 85% discount for
educational/non-profits, so perhaps it would only cost $15/month, or else
$45/month if you want more features like docs and to have them to migrate
the google group for you.  I'd be happy to donate to help cover those
costs, as I'm sure would many others here.
https://www.discourse.org/pricing

Another transition strategy with less risk/friction would be to do like you
did with the tiddlywiki dev list.  Keep and preserve the google group, but
open up a new discourse site.  If or when the discourse site takes off,
start directing people there and gradually fade out the google group,
optionally importing historical posts at some point in the future.