I had written a longer and more detailed reply but par for the course, the
UI glitched out and I lost part of the post.

On Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 10:34:06 PM UTC+2 Mat wrote:

> Yeah, no doubt it would be a substantial effort. But on the other hand
> there's no particular rush

As I said, if you stay within the GG group bubble it's easy to ignore the
plight of users both current and prospective who are not comfortable with
using or signing up for GG.

> So just "registering a new TW group" somewhere... poor idea.

I don't think anyone has suggested that in this thread, otherwise I'd have
a discourse up and running for TW already. At it's cheapest it costs $10/
month to self host it, closer to $20 with a higher user count. Discussion
around this topic as a community is needed precisely because user
dissatisfaction with GG is growing and there are actually good options
available at this time.

> IMO eating our own dog food would bring things closer together.

I've been hearing variations of this since 2008. The difference is there
weren't any really well put together open source alternatives back then,
there are now.

> But I know; talk is cheap, especially from someone who doesn't really
know what it takes.

It is very easy to underestimate the time and resources it would take to
invent our own forum solution. Not to mention that most of that work
wouldn't be universally useful and we would still need to pay for hosting
and maintenance. If as a community we can't pull together $50 a month for
hosting fees at this time, we *definitely* don't have the resources to take
this on. Nor would it be the best prioritization of resources even if we
did.