To pick up Eric's points first, I should restate a few of the
goals/plans for TW5:

- To make it much, much easier to use, by taking much more trouble
over the journey users need to take as they download and start to use
it
- To make it simpler to find and update plugins by having a central
plugin library
- To run TW5 as a cooperative commercial business, with the core
contributors sharing income

The other thing I'm trying to do is make a better fist of
documentation as I go along. My feeling is that TW suffers primarily
from a lack of easy to find, authoritative reference information.

In terms of revenue streams for TW5, I think there's a few worth investigating:

- Selling TiddlyWiki commemorative mugs and T-shirts, with special
limited editions, mugs signed by Eric and so on

- Affiliate fees. The hope is that users will be able to take a very
simple journey from tiddlywiki.com to signing up with a hosting
provider like Joyent or Amazon to have their TW5 running in the cloud.
>From an end user perspective, the goal is for the process to be as
simple as signing up for Facebook, albeit with a payment stage. So,
the end user gets a solid service that they paid for, Amazon/Joyent
get a new customer, and TW5 gets a kickback.

- Sponsorship. If we can make TW5 100 times more popular than the
current product, then I'm hoping all kinds of good things would
happen, including the possibility of getting a couple of commercial
sponsors to support the cooperative in exchange for tasteful badges on
tiddlywiki.com itself.

- The idea of publishing a book, which I think would be marvellous

- Finally, consultancy work around TiddlyWiki. For instance, back in
2006 I did a contract for SocialText to help them integrate TiddlyWiki
as SocialText Unplugged (and met Chris Dent in the process, of
course).  If we build a rich and useful ecosystem then organisations
will pay us to get access to it.

Anyhow, it all starts with building an utterly awesome product, and
then spreading the word. We need to embed the idea that if you love
TiddlyWiki, the obligation is to talk about; more even than donating
and buying T-shirts. If everyone who loved it got their
bosses/wives/children/friends to use it, we might see a kind of
conscious viral spread.

TiddlyWiki is an unusual open source project in that it's audience is
end users rather than software developers. Node.js is a wonderful
thing, but it's only useful to software developers. Our potential
audience is surely much, much bigger than Node's.

Best wishes

Jeremy