Ciao Tobias

Sorry for the delay. I been busy. I wish I had replied before because this
thread looks like its gone "off the boil". Which, from my point of view, is
unfortunate.

Like many of the other posts in this discussion I find myself both agreeing
& disagreeing .

I AGREE with you on TWO core things ...

  1 - Some of the best DOCUMENTATION is written or curated by people
dedicated to that task, not mixed up with anything else. YOUR work is an
outstanding example of that. In no way do I want to detract from that fact.

  2 - Google Groups as an ongoing DISCUSSION FORUM is as good as any other.
The fact it supports both web & email, & that it is reliable, gives it a
real "bedrock".

Where I DIFFER somewhat is as follows ...

   A -  Google Groups loses its own history constantly. Its best at
transient knowledge, very good for the thread at hand. Then, basically, its
past.

  B - Multiple forums across the net instantiate what I should probably
properly call "proto-documentation", rather than "Documentation" with a big
"D". But not here. This type of documentation is accessible ONLY where
there is ORGANISATION for longevity.

        To give an example from THIS group where GG fails badly.
TWEDERATION orientation & documentation exists as much in the Google Group
archive as it does on TW sites. And BOTH of them are REFRACTORY TO FINDING
because the way GG works makes it extremely cumbersome. Even if you KNOW to
look for them. Which you WON'T unless you have been reading everything.
That goes for BOTH the docu-discussion AND the site addresses for the
plugin. Pinning & Tagging would better enable that. A supplementary wiki on
critical developments directly connected to such threads even more so.

  C - What Riz has been doing on Reddit, just as one person with limited
technical scope & time, has really impressed upon me that we could be doing
MUCH BETTER. That is a lot to do with Reddit having searchable tagging of
posts, & posters. AND supplementary wikis built in.

       That is NOT so unusual. What is unusual is we persist with GG even
though its CHOPPING OFF emergent directions everyday because it has NO
interest in valuing history.

All this is perhaps not about "documentation" in the stricter sense you
meant it. But,  from a practical point of view its still highly relevant.

Best wishes
Josiah

Best wishes
Josiah