Excellent to have this laid out so well ... I'll comment on ToDos

*Third question: *What do you, TW users, use as your favorite note taking
> app and your To-Do app, if it's *not *TW? Especially as TW users, who
> respect and like TW, but feel that it does only Wiki... stuff? What have
> you learned to count on?

I'm old and worn out. I've seen the rise and fall of more GTD systems than
God. Before they went computer they were filofax. Before filofax they were
note assemblies. Before note assemblies they were etc ... I worked through
Covey, MindMaps, Giants Within, ultimate systems etc ...

The point about GTD's, it turns out was never the systems, it was always
the user. There is NO GTD system that fits all. The BEST GTD's are ones you
create for yourself that emerge from your own process that fit you. In
other words: decent GTD systems are emergent expressions of you, they are
themselves part of the GTD you are working on. In that regard TW is very
good because of the extent you can customize it. And, to use a
philosophical term, TW inherently supports "reflexivity".

But still I want to widen your query to answer it properly. The options are
WIDER than software. They have to be because software is not me per se.
Software is an animal I can train, but only to the extent to which it can
perform the tricks I need. And paper remains pretty damn good for lateral
thinking and I use it a lot. And GTD's that last are adaptive to thinking
about "what am i doing?" as much as "when am i doing it?" Its been a big
error in the history of GTDs to ever pretend otherwise.

For people who need ALARM CALLS to GTD, TW does not yet fit the bill. It
has no alert mechanism that can prod the somnambulant GTDer to awake to The
Priority.

I have been very impressed and now use daily Thomas Elmiger's ToDoNow
plugin for TW. Why? Its orientated to the singular user. Its agnostic about
ones aims. It depicts tasks in CONTEXT (for me that OVERVIEW is more
important than the singular tasks). Its one of the most elegant designs for
a GTD I ever seen in my years of travail on the ToDo path.

Then you have Cardo in TW that can deal with very complex projects. And if
I was running one I'd definitely consider it. Its not far off full Project
Management Software, yet without the complexity of their interfaces.

---

Okay you asked what I used, seriously, before TW, it was a DOS program,
InfoSelect. Now gone, long replaced by a crappy Windows version. I'd love
to implement in TW how that worked if I had the skill. Its display
mechanism was brilliant. Everything was by default OPEN. Then as you typed
into the filter the widgets on screen reduced to only what you needed. I
loved it. You didn't search then click on an item. The search itself
dynamically reduced the entries. Unicode killed it unfortunately. It was
ASCII only.

Best wishes
Josiah

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/14287e7a-38e9-44fc-a3c3-34c16410d9d8%40googlegroups.com.