Mario,

The need for an endString, although may be valid in other use cases is a
good way to recognise when a multi-line block or inline text is in use,
rather than the line based approach. Many of the current wiki text is line
based.

It seems to me that making use of a method like °/.classname something
here  /° or
°/.classname
something here
/°

and/or
Start of line °/id.classname something here  /°  end of line.

The key being you can see which opens and which closes, ie its asymmetric
yet palindromic.

But if course, since unfortunately the mechanism's you are using are
unknown to me, I leave the feasibility to you.

If you were looking for a point at which to publish an initial release,
perhaps this could be the dividing line, between the first and second
release. As long as nothing in the first release compromised later inline
annotations, it does not all have to be solved at once.  I certainly think
that the matching CSS and other interesting applications of the customise
pragma can come from the community. Perhaps a challenge for the most
impressive applications and their subsequent documentation would be a way
to get feedback, doco etc...

In the mean time, best rest assured I continue to exercise your latest
releases, and If I am truthful, primarily trying to test its limits. Trying
to do things that until now has either being impossible or long winded.

As an aside I am working on leveraging macros and transclusions to
complement opportunities to authorship along side the customize pragma.

Regards
Tony