Observation,

Many of the additional characters for maths is available inside the Katex
plugin with the use of Woff files,  this plugin is less than 1mb in size.

*The Web Open Font Format (WOFF) is a font
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Font> format for use in web
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Wide_Web> pages. WOFF files
are OpenType <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenType> or TrueType
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TrueType> fonts, with format-specific
compression applied and additional XML
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XML> metadata added. The two primary goals
are to first distinguish font files intended for use as web fonts from
fonts files intended for use in desktop applications via local
installation, and second to reduce web font latency when fonts are
transferred from a server to a client over a network connection. *

If we could interrogate these fonts, identify the glyphs we use for
customise in there and the we could make the katex plugin a co-requisit, or
build our own WOFF file for a last resort font.

However my own experience is most devices can now show most "international"
codepoints.

Tony