Hi

On Thu, 4 Feb 1999, Rick Adams wrote:

> Stephen Black wrote:
>
> > Someone else mentioned getting individual permission. That's what I
> > do for posting by student number. On the answer sheet for their first
> > quiz, I ask them to sign if they would like to give permission to have
> > their grades posted by student number. I tell them they are under no
> > obligation to sign, that they can revoke permission at any time, and
> > that student numbers are not entirely secure. Virtually everyone
> > signs.
> >
> > That seems to satisfy our Registrar's office. But is it possible that
> > it could still be illegal even with individual written permission?
>
>       It's still illegal, Stephen. There's a federal statute prohibiting their
> use in that manner. In addition, if any of your students are under age
> (i.e., 17), they don't have the legal right to grant that permission, and
> their parents could still sue the school for damages.

Rick is that a Canadian Federal statute, or did Canada get
annexed by the USA when Stephen and I weren't looking?

Best wishes
Jim

James M. Clark                          (204) 786-9313
Department of Psychology                (204) 774-4134 Fax
University of Winnipeg                  4L02A
Winnipeg, Manitoba  R3B 2E9             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
CANADA                                  http://www.uwinnipeg.ca/~clark