Hi

It obviously worked for Sue, so can be done.  For me, I'm not sure that the
logical progression in stats (which I have more experience with) maps well onto
the logical progression in methods.  How do descriptive statistics,
probability, inferential statistics map onto measurement, reliability,
validity, randomization, counterbalancing, within- and between- designs, ....
Some matches appear clear, but I'm less certain about the overall layout.

Another complication for us was that we were going to two half courses from one
half combined course (stat/meth) in an environment where there would be
multiple sections with different instructors feeling entitled to "do their own
thing."  For example, the half-combined course (nominally both) was more meth
and little stats for some instructors and opposite for others.  We anticipated
the potential for a real mess with 2 half combined courses, especially if
students did not take the two halves sequentially.  We did impose more
restrictions on (most) instructors once we got the two half courses going with
a common lab structured and taught by someone else (very good person!).  To
make the mixed approach work, we would definitely have to have been quite
prescriptive.

In addition, many students do have a lot to deal with in a stats course.
Interesting question whether it would be more manageable separate in a half
course or combined with other material but over two half courses.

I also like the repetition aspect of doing them successively.  Learn basics in
stats and apply it in methods during a later term.  I teach our full-year
Honours stats/methods course (mostly former) that follows intro sequence and it
is surprising (perhaps) how much students have lost from intro stats / methods
even with the distributed repetition.  Most of first month is spent on review.

Surely someone has done a relevant study!!  If not, I'll continue to
pontificate.

Take care
Jim

James M. Clark
Professor of Psychology
204-786-9757
204-774-4134 Fax
j.cl...@uwinnipeg.ca

>>> "Frantz, Sue" <sfra...@highline.edu> 14-Apr-10 3:04:49 PM >>>
When I had it in college, there were two 4-credit courses: Research Design and
Analysis I and II.  Talk about a method and the stats that go with it.  Move on
to the next method and the stats that go with it. And so on. I liked that set
up a lot.

Sue

--
Sue Frantz                                         Highline Community College
Psychology, Coordinator                Des Moines, WA

Office of Teaching Resources in Psychology, Associate Director
Teaching of Psychology Idea Exchange (ToPIX)
APA Division 2: Society for the Teaching of Psychology

APA's p...@cc Committee

---
You are currently subscribed to tips as: j.cl...@uwinnipeg.ca.
To unsubscribe click here: