Marc Carter opined:
>I know it's not possible in many places, but in a perfect world all psych
>undergrads would do a year-long, 6-hour-a-week Analysis and Design course.
>
>To quote Winer (et al. -- the 3rd, 1991 posthumous edition with Brown &
>Michels):
>
>"Science is concerned with understanding variability in nature, statistics is
>concerned with making decisions about nature in the presence of variability,
>and experimental design is concerned with reducing and controlling variability
>in ways which [sic] make statistical theory applicable to decisions made about
>nature."
>
>That quote has always made a big impact on how I teach design and analysis.
>Even when I taught stand-alone stats classes, I always included method.  The
>one makes so much more sense in the context of the other.

I respond for two reasons.
First, I agree with what Marc said about the "...in a perfect world all psych
undergrads would do a year-long, 6-hour-a-week Analysis and Design course."
But, alas, most of us do not live in such a world.  I have taught both in the
separate course format, and would much rather have the option to do exactly
what marc suggests, but find it nearly impossible.  I also lament that many
really good psych majors do not become psych majors until they find toward the
end of their second semester of their sophomore year, that the business program
or the administration of justice program is not what they really want, and that
complicates matters.

Second, I just have to say that I had the great pleasure of having Ben Winer as
my stats professor as a graduate student using the first edition, and yes, he
is as good a professor as I have ever had.  I also had Don Brown and he was
also a remarkable professor.  There are times when I realize that I was
fortunate enough to be able to study at Purdue when there were so many great
researchers and teachers.

.
Robert W. Wildblood, PhD
Riverside Counseling Center and