Ok, the next chapter in the odd behavior.  I spent a little more time with 
it and have a series of symptoms to describe.

First a refresher on the setup.... Tivo HD with a 320g hard drive from 
Weaknees.  Audio is routed to a surround sound setup, and video is routed 
via A/V cables to an old school 27" TV.  A parallel run of AV is sent to a 
VCR/DVD recorder which then goes to the TV via a separate input.

I turn on the TV and audio, and am greeted with a blank screen and no audio. 
Same from both outputs/inputs.

Both tuners are on the same channel, in this case SyFy (why they went to 
that goofy spelling I have no idea).  Both tuners were analog, but cable 
cards are installed.

Two different shows are in the buffers on the two tuners, both are made for 
TV movies with the less than compelling story line, high school level 
special effects, and marginal acting.  But that's not important right now. 
One show aired at 1am, the other followed at 3am.  It's now 9am.

If I jump back to the beginning of the buffer, I can now view the show and 
hear audio.

I can fast forward through the buffer (one buffer is the full 30 minutes, 
the other appears to be about 15 minutes) and stop and play at any point 
except the end of the buffer.

If I reach the end of the buffer (I call it "real time"), the picture goes 
to the last frame and freezes, as does the audio.

Now here's the interesting part... the buffer appears to be recording still, 
when I turned on the tube, it showed 9:01 as the current time on the leading 
edge of the buffer.  But, the program that is in the buffer is NOT the 
current show listed in the guide.  This is true of both buffers, and the two 
buffers have different shows.

And just to make things really interesting, when I watch the show in normal 
time from a few minutes before the freeze point, it stops at the same point 
in the show.  But read back to the buffer advancing, originally this took 
place at 9:01, now it's taking place at 9:10, and later will occur at 9:15. 
It seems the unit is not recording buffer, but the status bar seems to 
indicate it is, as it is advancing the buffer.

I know from past experience that a reboot/restart of the player will clear 
things up for a while, maybe a day or two, maybe a month.

This time I chose a program on another channel in the guide and asked it to 
record, it changed the channel and started recording, but the buffer sat 
with nothing in it, and a blank screen..  I gave it some time, it was not 
recording, but did appear to change the channel.

I checked the other buffer, no change, same as above.

I tried to change channels on the tuner that was recording, which caused it 
to switch to the tuner that wasn't recording, and the channel then changed 
and started behaving normally, I could see the program, it was correct, 
behavior was back to normal.

I changed to the other channel, and it was still on the program I asked it 
to record, but it is now recording properly and it too has returned to 
normal.  I changed channels a few more times on both tuners and all seems to 
be back to normal.

I checked the ToDo list and Recording History, and no shows were supposed to 
record last night, so I can't tell if it would have recorded a show as 
planned, I seem to recall that in the past I've ended up with recorded shows 
that were empty, I'd always blamed that on cable card issues, but never 
proved it, now I'm not so sure.  It did record a Tivo Suggestion last night 
around midnight, but that recorded ok.

So what say ye great Tivo gurus, will the new 1TB hard drive I just ordered 
last night fix my issue, or am I sending the poor thing back to Tivo for 
repairs.

Glen

Reply via email to