I upgraded my Tivo HD from it's already upgraded 320g drive to a new 1TB 
drive.  I used WinMFS and the MFSCopy and it worked flawlessly, or so I 
thought.

Using info from Weaknees, here's what I was expecting for capacity from a 
1TB drive:

High Definition: 145 hours
332 hours (Best quality)
539 hours (High quality)
713 hours (Medium quality)
1368 hours (Basic quality)


Yet, here's what is reported by my Tivo

High Definition: 157 hours
231 hours (Best quality)
341 hours (High quality)
539 hours (Medium quality)
1367 hours (Basic quality)

I did not "maximize" the drive, which I believe takes advantage of space 
that Tivo may have set aside for future use.  I did "expand" the drive when 
prompted, which I assume was due to copying a 320g drive to a 1tb drive.

I can report a few notable things.  First, the process only took an hour, 
with both drives hooked directly to the motherboard of my PC, I'd guess 
there was 225g of data that got moved since I cleared out Tivo Suggestions 
and the recently deleted shows as to not copy stuff I didn't need.  Some 
reports of 20 hours required for copy was likely due to usb adapters and/or 
slower drives, but SATA drives on the motherboard are very quick.

Second, the old drive was quite warm after the copy, about as warm as you'd 
want to have in your hand, but not scalding.  The new drive was much cooler, 
warm to the touch would be a good description.  I'd wager 20 F degrees 
cooler.  This may cool down my unit some, it usually runs about 41F, I'll 
have to see where it is when it's had time to warm up again.

Lastly, the time delay between menus has dropped slightly, and it's more 
consistent than it used to be.

The new drive as mentioned in previous emails is the WD AV-GP 1TB with 32MB 
buffer.

Glen 

Reply via email to