AOL EmailReported January 3, 2007
Botox: Helping Patients Move Again
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. (Ivanhoe Broadcast News) -- You've seen the results of
people who look years younger after Botox injections. But Botox is turning out
to be more than a fountain of youth ... It's becoming a life saver for some
people battling serious illness.

Nine-year-old Andrew Carter is not afraid to fall off a horse. And he refuses
to let cerebral palsy get the best of him. "I like the jumping," he says.
"That's my favorite part."

When Carter tried to move, his muscles would fight him -- jerking him around.
It's a condition called spasticity. Botox injections help calm his muscles. He
says, "It hurts but I really do think it helps because it loosens me up."

Botulinum toxin is what causes food poisoning, but in patients like Carter,
it's targeted to specific muscles.

"It causes partial paralysis in the muscle you inject it into," Orthopedic
Surgeon Lewis Andrew Koman, M.D., of Wake Forest University Baptist Medical
Center in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, tells Ivanhoe.

Botox is also helping stroke patients, like Ginger Hinshaw, by relaxing
muscles. Before Botox, Hinshaw could barely move after her stroke. "My left
hand -- if it's not in this splint, my fingers will just be in a knot," she
says.

Today, Hinshaw is able to write about what happened to her. She says, "I have a
lot of exercises and stretches to do at home to get me ready for my next phase
of recovery."

Wake Forest Neurologist Allison Brashear, M.D., says there's no risk -- and
patients can take it again and again and again. "The beauty of the drug is that
you put the Botox in the arm, and it just stays there."

Botox is also being used to help multiple sclerosis patients and patients with
traumatic brain injuries. Injections need to be repeated about every four to
six months. There are no known side effects.

This article was reported by Ivanhoe.com, who offers Medical Alerts by e-mail
every day of the week. To subscribe, go to: http://www.ivanhoe.com/newsalert/.

If you would like more information, please contact:

  Karen Richardson
  Public Relations
  Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center
  (336) 716-4453