Well, this is probably a holy war, but:

1.  Orion is a "competitor" to Tomcat making benchmarks from them
automatically suspect (at the very least biased)...that URL is 2 years
old...massive changes have been made to Tomcat since

2.  I have a server right now that has 20 distinct instances of Tomcat on
it, is serving a fairly sustained rate of 500kbps-1.2Mbps with several
hundreds of open connections.  About 1.3 million hits a month, but hits are
misleading.  CPU load (dual P3-1.2) is averaging 31%.  4GB of RAM, memory
used averages about 2.2GB.  Red Hat 7.2, Tomcat 3.1.

So, based on my experience with a server running an ancient version of
Tomcat, I would say Tomcat is just fine, given a correct configuration.

That said, Remy and Peter Lin have a Tomcat performance tuning book due out
this spring, so from my point of view, performance concerns with Tomcat are
the least of my problems.  But that's me.  My bosses are happy, that's all I
need to know. ;)

I think the traffic on this list bears out that, by and large, performance
gains (or problems) are a result of application architecture, not the
application doing the serving.

John