I'm with John on this one. Not to slight Orion, but everyone knows
benchmarks are meaningless, unless they're YOUR benchmarks.

But think very hard about your statement here. Think about what the issue
is.

Here you have an application that you are thinking of or have already
written. You write it to the best within your abilities and you FOLLOW THE
PLATFORM SPEC.

Now, it comes down to deployment, tweaking, and performance.

So, you take your application and you benchmark it using whatever tools you
are willing write/buy/download.

If your application provides you with acceptable performance, you're done.

But here's the real treat. If it's NOT, then drop it on any of several
containers (Orion, Resin, Tomcat, Jetty, Sun ONE, JRun, Weblogic, Oracle,
IBM...and I'm missing some).

Now benchmark it again...is it better? Is it worse?

Do that a couple of times and stand back and bask in the glow when it
hits...had you developed your application in ANYTHING else, this would not
be an option. If you wrote your app using any other technology, PHP, Perl,
ASP, .NET, WebObjects, Zope, etc. then when your application was finished
and you wanted to deploy it only to discover you were unhappy, you find you
had no recourse.

With any other methodology you would need to look for more hardware or
clustering or rewriting. All of those can be expensive and complicated (and
I'm not saying the having to buy licenses for some of these other containers
will not be expensive, as they can be).

This is the real power of what Tomcat has to offer. If it doesn't meet your
production needs, then something else might, and you have the flexibility to
choose that option. You can say "Tomcat sucks, forget it, I'm leaving" and
move on.

The portability of WebApps is getting better with every release of the
specification and the containers. This is why if you follow my posts here, I
almost always bring up portability because I think that it's extermely
important and fundamental to the platform, it's why I like that Tomcat is
the reference implementation so that I can be better assured that were
striving to compliance with the spec.

Now, of course, the spec is vague enough and has gray areas that can make
porting difficult, and I wish Tomcat were a bit more strict on things, but
portability is real, it's possible, and it can be less painful than you
think. And I think we all should send a big Thank You to the Tomcat team,
Sun and the spec writers for pushing this effort forward, and tell the
platform providers that portability is a real concern to us as developers.

Regards,

Will Hartung
([EMAIL PROTECTED])