I'll just add one more tidbit into the conversation.
The biggest bottleneck in most dynamic sites is the
data access layer.  In the benchmarks I ran recently,
getting 16-20K of data from oracle will take a minimum
of 200ms.

when you compare this to the time tomcat spends doing
other work, it becomes obvious that more than 50% of
the CPU time is getting data. The only situation where
page markup is slow is using XML with complex schema.

Most of this stuff is covered in the book with an
example webapp and benchmarks to show the trade off in
performance.

peter lin