From: Shapira, Yoav [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, February 06, 2003 10:09 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: Tomcat Performance Concerns

Howdy,

>Tomcat performance and a reference to some benchmarks. The benchmarks
were
>done in 2001 and are out of date

Very out of date.  Referring to a previous (3.x) generation of Tomcat,
which is much slower than the current (4.1.x) implementation.

I haven't used Orion, but looking at their front page
(http://www.orionserver.com/) I see a couple of things relevant to this
discussion:

- Current release of Orion is a full J2EE server.  Tomcat isn't and
doesn't try to be.
- Current release of Orion supports the Servlet 2.2 (and the "Public
Draft") of Servlet 2.3 standards.  That is too funny to even comment on.
- Current release of Orion is $1500 per physical server for commercial
use.   Not Weblogic-level pricing at least ;)

Their benchmark page
(http://www.orionserver.com/benchmarks/benchmark.html)
Claims "One of the main goals for the Orion Application Server has been
to outperform everything else on the market".  Very nice goal.  Why
haven't they bothered to update their benchmarks in a long time?

>but even today I still hear of concerns
>regarding Tomcat performance and even my peers are saying it is a
>"reference
>implementation only".

Your peers are not up to date on this particular question.  Tomcat is a
reference implementation in the sense that it strives to implement the
servlet and JSP specifications as closely and strictly as possible.
However, it adds many features above and beyond the specification.  And
being a "reference implementation" does not necessarily mean a slow
implementation.

Like the Orion benchmark page says, and the several discussions per year
we have on this list all conclude, it comes down to:
- Establishing the required performance level for your application
- Creating stress tests to simulate real stress
- Running the stress tests with your application on various containers
- Tweaking / tuning whatever possible
- Repeat until satisfied.

Personally, and I can't share the actual numbers due to legal
restrictions in my company, we've benchmarked our app with extensive
tuning on Orion, Resin, and Jetty and found Tomcat to be superior.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics