> kdf wrote:

> Right, as if a VP of Marketing or some such title actually knows more
> about when the software will be done than Andyg.

I think things are in a pretty good state myself, but it is also clear
that whatever has been specified as required by the management isn't there
yet and that is a major reason for the delay.

> The only way that the Marketing folks know that software is done is when
> the QA/QC folks tell them that it is done now. And the QA/QC folks don't
> make projections about the future.

That matches my thinking.  There are certainly more steps from finished
code changes to the release than there used to be during more fly-by-night
days of slimserver.

Complaints will always be.  If it's a non-leaked immediate release, recent
buyers are livid that they weren't warned.  If there is no talk of
release, posters start complaining that the product line isn't active
enough.  If devs are spending their time posting, people complain code
isn't moving fast enough, etc.  In nearly all cases, there will be one or
two who will take it to extreme hyperbole.

As an interesting aside, I saw an article about the Boeing 787.  You know,
it's over two years late and I bet that one bit of info could be used as
fodder for either side of the complaints (I'm kinda liking that they are
taking their time making sure the wings actually stay attached :)

-k