results, please visit http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=73380
Question: Using the Touch's embedded SBS...

- I plan to use it as my main server/library
- I plan to use it occasionally, such as when a friend brings around
  a USB drive
- I have no interest it using it at all really

I plan to get around the transcoding problems by having two Touches.
One, in my 2 channel listening room, will be connected to a USB drive
that has nothing but FLAC, and it will not be used to stream to any
other players.  The other will be in the HT room, with it's own USB
drive containing MP3 files.  It will have a hard line to the wireless
router, and will stream MP3 to the Radio and Boom wirelessly.

This works for me, where I only have one room where I care about the
possibility of sound degredation due to MP3 encoding, and I also don't
care to synchronize that room with the rest.  Two USB drives is still
cheaper than a good NAS, near as I can tell.

At least, I think this will work - am I correct?

--
georgeh

Just a radio... for now.