results, please visit http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=73380
Question: Using the Touch's embedded SBS...

- I plan to use it as my main server/library
- I plan to use it occasionally, such as when a friend brings around
  a USB drive
- I have no interest it using it at all really

JJZolx;503195 Wrote:
> As the others have said, the older players won't be able to play the
> 24/96 content and the Touch won't be able to transcode/resample for
> those players.
>
> Back to the 'two Touch' approach...
>
> I'd avoid it.  It purposely works around perhaps the single most
> elegant thing about the Squeezebox system: the ability to maintain a
> central server that feeds numerous Squeezeboxes on your network.  With a
> central server you don't need to keep a sync'd MP3 mirror of your FLAC
> library.  Squeezebox Server does any transcoding on the fly.  With a
> central server the other Squeezeboxes will be served the highest quality
> possible stream, not MP3.  If you're serving 16/44.1 content then
> they'll get the original FLAC.  If it's 24/96 then Squeezebox Server
> will downsample it to 24/48 and stream it in FLAC.
>
> You don't need a NAS to do this.  A NAS solves nothing for the
> application of a Squeezebox music server.  Set up an inexpensive,
> headless PC with a single music library drive and make sure you keep a
> backup of the library.  You don't need RAID, and you don't need the
> expense of a NAS.

Hi there

Agreed

I went to my Local Tip and got an old Pentium IV computer FOR NOTHING

I installed a SUSE Linux system on it and attached a SATA disk
controller card (cost around 16 GBP)  on it.

Connected 2 SATA  X 1TB drives and squeezebox server on it and it now
sits quietly in a cupboard -- I don't even have a console connected to
it.

Works a treat -- and even with FLAC encoding you can get a HUGE amount
of music on 2TB of disk space. -- Haven't used anything like that yet.

For an AUDIO SERVER any old crappy computer will do -- there are plenty
of places to get one for NOTHING from.

Cheers
jimbo

--