results, please visit http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=73380
Question: Using the Touch's embedded SBS...

- I plan to use it as my main server/library
- I plan to use it occasionally, such as when a friend brings around
  a USB drive
- I have no interest it using it at all really

JJZolx;503195 Wrote:
> As the others have said, the older players won't be able to play the
> 24/96 content and the Touch won't be able to transcode/resample for
> those players.
>
> Back to the 'two Touch' approach...
>
> I'd avoid it.  It purposely works around perhaps the single most
> elegant thing about the Squeezebox system: the ability to maintain a
> central server that feeds numerous Squeezeboxes on your network.  With a
> central server you don't need to keep a sync'd MP3 mirror of your FLAC
> library.  Squeezebox Server does any transcoding on the fly.  With a
> central server the other Squeezeboxes will be served the highest quality
> possible stream, not MP3.  If you're serving 16/44.1 content then
> they'll get the original FLAC.  If it's 24/96 then Squeezebox Server
> will downsample it to 24/48 and stream it in FLAC.
>
> You don't need a NAS to do this.  A NAS solves nothing for the
> application of a Squeezebox music server.  Set up an inexpensive,
> headless PC with a single music library drive and make sure you keep a
> backup of the library.  You don't need RAID, and you don't need the
> expense of a NAS.

Actually, a better description would be the two *drive* approach, since
I'll eventaully have two Touches no matter what (assuming they work
well, LOL).

Too bad about the Boom not handling 24/96.  Although, the vast majority
of my music will be Redbook rips, and the Boom isn't exactly a
audiophile device, so I'm not worried if I can't stream that content to
the Boom.

But, you do make some good points.  We'll see.  As others have stated,
it will be interesting to see how many plugins get re-coded for the
Touch.  I suspect many will, at least if Logitech sells a lot of
Touches, which seems likely.

For the time being I'm going to start with one Touch in the dedicated 2
channel room (24/96, hooray!  Excellent digital and analog sections,
hooray!  $300 double-hooray!), using an existing USB drive & TinySC,
since I've already validated via my Radio that my wireless network can't
support FLAC streaming (too many dropouts) in that room.  This is no
doubt due to the fact that my PC running SS uses wireless to communicate
to the Router, so I am overloading the wireless bandwidth with
double-FLAC traffic.  For the Radio, for the time being I'll just
continue to use the PC/SS combo to stream MP3 files and leave it on
24/7.

When I do get the second Touch for the HT/Living Room, which will be
hardwired to the Router, I'll have to make a decision about using the PC
vs. TinySC as the main server.  But that decision is a ways off.

Thanks for the feedback!

--
georgeh

Just a radio... for now.