On 07/23/2010 05:48 PM, Leigh wrote:
> How difficult would it be to simply upsample 24/44.1 material and the
> mix in some supersonic noise to make it look like it's hirez?

As our rhetorical question asks, its trivial.

> I presume these upsampled tracks were discovered when someone found
> there was no energy above 44.1 (or 48) kHz.

Long ago, Stereophile took a bunch of "high res" albums, SACD and DVD-A
and most had no signal over 22 kHz

> As far as I know there is no sure-fire test for whether a source is
> hirez anyway.

What do you mean by source? Most professional recording microphones,
preamps, eq, reverb, and everything else in the chain is designed for
20-20kHz. They don't process/record much over 20kHz.

When they do have some support for ultra-sonic frequencies, they have at
least a 6dB per octave roll off.

Synths and other non-acoustic sources can have high frequency stuff.

I believe, that recording at 35kHz or so is worth while. So my studio
records at 88.2kHz. 98kHz is also fine.

And about 20 bits of sample width is fine. So I have no problems at all
with 96/24

192/24 is simply for bragging rights because mine is bigger

Pat
--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/