Many thanks for all the replies and comments.

My Orange wireless router is far away from my HiFi and hence this is
the reason I wanted to avoid running a long cable from my Hifi to the
router. Of course I could as suggested have the Sheevaplug next to the
router and stream wirelessly and perhaps this would be fine, I haven't
tried this but the main point of the excersise is to try soundchecks
mods which include hardwiring the network connection.

Once the sheevaplug is up and running hopefully I won't need to access
it anyway, otherwise I will have to look at running the long network
cable.

I have ordered the Sheevaplug and hopefully the Wiki page and the
downloaded SD Card image will proove easy to install and setup.

On a related note I have read with interest the thread on powering down
the Touch and the file systems ext2 and ext3. From what I have
understood ext3 allows you to switch off the harddrive (as long as it
is not being read or written to) and the data should not get
corrupted.

I realise that my windows XP based computer won't be able to format my
HDD in ext3 format. Can anybody tell me how I can format my USB
external 1TB HDD in ext3 format and then transfer my music back onto
it? Is this possible and is it difficult?

Many thanks!!

--
woodnut