woodnut;570233 Wrote:

> Once the sheevaplug is up and running hopefully I won't need to access
> it anyway, otherwise I will have to look at running the long network
> cable.
>

> I realise that my windows XP based computer won't be able to format my
> HDD in ext3 format. Can anybody tell me how I can format my USB
> external 1TB HDD in ext3 format and then transfer my music back onto
> it? Is this possible and is it difficult?
>

> Many thanks!!

Once you get the sheevaplug up and running and SBS configured the way
you want it you should not need to have any other connection to it
other than the Touch itself. For the initial setup phase while you are
getting things setup a connection to another computer ( a laptop is the
easiest) a cheap little ethernet switch can come in handy. I have a
couple of these I keep around just for such purposes. (I keep one in
the car, its amazing how many times friends ask me to help trouble
shoot their network problems)

On the formatting front you should be able to do that from the
sheevaplug itself. Once you have the software installed and the drive
plugged in, you log into the plug with SSH and run a couple linux
commands which will reformat it with ext3.

Once you have it formatted you take the sheevaplug with the drive
connected over to your router and plug the ethernet cable into it. Now
you should be able to mount the drive on any other computer on the
network. Copy the files over, unplug the Plug from the router and take
it back to the Touch.

The only thing thats going to make this a little tricky is that you
will normally be running the Plug and Touch without a router, so there
will not be a DHCP server involved so you will need to run static IP
addresses for both. The trick is to use addresses that are on the same
subnet as your router uses, but outside of the range its DHCP server
"pool".

For example my router assigns addresses in the range 192.168.1.100 to
199. Thus if I want to use a static IP on anything it should be below
100 or above 199. With this you could set the sheevaplug to
192.168.1.220 and the Touch to 192.168.1.221. With this they will talk
to each other AND to anything else on your network when plugged into
the router.

John S.

John S.

--