mlsstl;611082 Wrote:
> I don't know... I'm inherently suspicious of leaving my collection
> completely in the hands of others. It sounds nice if you say it fast,
> but consider the following examples.
>
> Remember the abomination of colorized B&W movies? I'm sure they thought
> they were doing us a great favor. It was very hard to find an original
> version during this period.
>
> What happens when the only version in the cloud of your favorite song
> is the over-compressed remixed loudness wars casualty?
>
> Copyright holders are notorious about changing their minds. Someone
> only needs to wake up on the wrong side of the bed one morning and
> you'll find material from a favorite artist gone. I can remember a
> period when the great Marx Bros. comedies were virtually non-existent.
> My wife - a Jimmy Spheeris fan - saw his stuff disappear for a period
> due to copyright issues. At one point used CDs were around $100 a pop.
> Even today the out-of-print "The Dragon Is Dancing" CD is $40 used as
> the price came down since you can download the album if an MP3 is
> acceptable.
>
> I just finished the book "The Master Switch" by Tim Wu which looks at
> the history of technology and communications starting with the
> telegraph. Consistently for the past 150 years, things have repeatedly
> cycled toward monopoly control with others deciding what we should
> hear/see and when.
>
> I think I'll hang onto my stuff for a while longer.... ;-)

After watching the Grammy Awards last night, it became apparent that I
need not worry about what happens to the music being recorded these
days. It's all pointless drivel, so why bother?

The music I'm really interested in listening to is readily available in
a digitized format. The issue now becomes one of convenience: am I going
to access that material by thumbing through the pile of poorly organized
physical discs (only to realize an hour later that I've borrowed that
particular CD I was looking for to a friend), or am I going to dial the
music I'm interested in on my iPhone and then stream it to my main audio
system?

If the latter, the question becomes: am I going to keep that digitized
music on my crash-prone HD, or in the cloud?

--
magiccarpetride