Thanks for the advice!  Is the NAS doing the volume control or decoding?
I had supposed those processes were done inside the Touch itself.

Actually, I have now hard-wired the Touch to my four-port router (where
the NAS is also connected) and the problem persists, but occurs only
with ALAC problems.  And strangely, although it's intermittent, when it
does happen it seems to occur at the same point each time:  A song plays
for about three seconds, the sound stops, then maybe four seconds later
it resumes and after that it plays fine.  Usually, it happens only with
the first track on an album, but sometimes when I manually switch tracks
it will happen on subsequent tracks.

So even though this stuff is mainly way over my head, I do this this is
an issue with how it's handling my Apple Lossless files.

--
Zonker92