Zonker92;629590 Wrote:
> The tagging problems may lie with my files, although I have to wonder if
> it isn't just that SBS is looking for a particular format and can't read
> my files because iTunes tagged them in some particular weird manner,
> viz., a compatibility problem.  And the fact remains that the Sonos app
> has zero problems indexing the same files, so the tagging doesn't seem
> to bother that app.  If a tagging defect doesn't affect the operation
> of the system, is it really a defect?
Why Sonos reads those tags and SBS doesn't is a puzzle to me, too. Both
SBS and Sonos _should_ be looking for a "particular format" because
that's how it's done. Even closed, proprietary formats like ALAC have
standards that all programs that read or write ALAC tags should follow.

Maybe the SBS scanner is using outdated standards. After all, Apple is
known to change formats a bit capriciously, although if the SBS scanner
were out of date I would expect to see other complaints, as you're not
the only one using ALAC. Or maybe Sonos is more forgiving of tagging
errors. I don't know. In this case snottmonster's offer to see if one
of the problem files works on his SBS system could be useful in
debugging things.

If you are still willing to put more time into it, I also like toby10's
suggestion of running SBS 7.5.4 on your computer, pointing it to the
library on the NAS. That may be an unacceptable way for you to run your
network audio system, but it would at least resolve some of the puzzles
about why SBS is not working for you when it really _does_ work for
most people.

--
aubuti