lovejoy wrote:
> It's a curse. Oh to be able to enjoy music as much from a tinny micro
> system ;-).

That's is the rub! Music can be enjoyed using an iPod boombox but if one
wants to immerse oneself fully into the music then a somewhat nicer
playback system is needed.

lovejoy wrote:
> I agree with the vast majority of what you say except for the
> transmission method. This is where the *BIG* differences happen.
> SPDIF/TOSLINK are both a massive fudge - always have been and all the
> manufacturers know this. The problem, before all of the transmission
> line reflections and impedance mismatches are that data and clock are
> interleaved down the same cable. Interleaving will always cause jitter
> issues, so this alone makes these formats less than desirable. No-one
> outside of a domestic environment uses TOSLINK/SPDIF, using balanced
> 110Ohm AES. I work every day with 110Ohm balanced and 75Ohm unbalanced
> digital audio connections and you can quite easily measure errors in
> going from one to the other without using balancing transformers.
> Shielded cables certainly make a difference if you're trying to get away
> with it, so it's not unreasonale to think that the same thing is
> happening with different grades of SPDIF/COAX cable - I'm not saying you
> have to spend silly money on esoteric cables. In fact, I'm positively
> against it, especially when you know that most of this stuff is just
> marketing and can be made up at home given some soldering skills and the
> knowledge of the right cables and plugs to use. USB of course avoids all
> of the transmission line problems and gives you separate clock lines,
> even better if you have an Asynchronous DAC connection

It's a good thing that I have a Transporter connected to my preamp via
the balanced analog outputs in my main stereo since this completely
avoids having to use any nasty coax or toslink connections :).

On my other Squeezebox to external DAC setups I've simply learned to
live with these less than perfect means of digital data transmission.