PasTim wrote:
> I would have thought the variables are more likely to be on your server
> than the Touch, particular when (if I understand correctly), playing
> from a USB drive on your server behaves differently from playing from a
> local drive on your server.  I also wonder whether ALAC is being
> decompressed on the server rather than the Touch (by default FLACS will
> be decompressed on the Touch - I'm note quite sure about ALAC).

Yes Touch can't handle hires alac so per default alac is not native on
the Touch ( there are possibly some other issues to ) but flac is native
.

Depending on settings you may stream alac transcoded to flac or PCM .
PCM also roughly increase the needed bandwidth say 40% in reality I
don't think Touch really care about flac vs PCM greater network activity
may offset the "benefit" of not decoding flac on the Touch .

But if it differs between USB drive and c drive you have localised the
issue to the server so forget about the Touch it's not directly involved
.

Maybe a disc defrag if it's a windows system ,maybe something is
starting to go wrong with the USB drive itself use your backup copies on
another USB drive

sub.
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
Misc use: Radio (with battery)
iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
(spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )